DNA My Dog Breed Test
From $99Order Now!
This DNA My Dog breed test is great for owners of mixed breed dogs. Why? Because appearances can be misleading and a mixed-breed dog’s physical traits won’t always provide an accurate indication of the dog’s dominant breeds. Scientific and detailed, this test will provide you with the unique DNA breed composition and will help answer the question “what breeds make up my mixed breed dog”. Your results will be ready in just 2-3 weeks from the moment we receive your samples at the laboratory.
Important Note: As the results are based on the dog’s entire gene pool it will not necessarily reflect the dog’s current appearance. Guessing a mixed-breed’s ancestry can be difficult even for knowledgeable dog observers, because mixed-breeds have much more genetic variation than purebreds. The presence of certain dog breeds in your results does not guarantee that the dog will look like the specific detected breeds, because the genetic contributions from the other breeds present may be more visible.
We determine your dog’s breed mix by referring to a database which contains the DNA profiles of the most common dog breeds. If a dog’s DNA contains a breed of dog that we do not have in our database, it will automatically get matched to the next closest breed or to the foundation breed of that dog.To view the list of dog breeds click here.
Science behind the test
The laboratory has access to a vast database of the DNA of different dog breeds. The database contains the breeds of the most common breeds in mixed breed dogs including Chihuahuas, Beagles, Basset Hounds, French Bull Terriers, Boxers and many, many more.
DNA is extracted via a process known as Polymerase Chain Reaction or PCR. This is the most commonly used method as it provides a very high success rate using small amounts of DNA. Once we have extracted and isolated your dog’s DNA, we will run it against every breed’s DNA in our database to establish which breeds show a match between your dog’s DNA sample and the breeds in our database.
Collecting samples from your dog could not be simpler! We will provide you with everything you need to collect the samples, including your dog DNA sample collection kit.
The following are the steps to follow:
- Remove the swabs from their sterile packaging.
- Hold the dog’s head firmly in place and insert the swab between the gum and the teeth. Rub the swab in this area for around 20 seconds. The procedure is absolutely painless for dogs of all ages and sizes.
- Repeat the procedure with other swabs provided.
- Allow the swabs to dry for an hour and then place them in the envelopes provided.
- Place all swabs into the larger, preaddressed envelope and send it to us for analysis.
Precautions: Make sure not to touch the cotton ended part of the swab with your fingers as this could contaminate the samples.
What Will My Results Show?
The most important part of the canine DNA test is breed analysis which will highlight exactly which breeds make up what percentage of your dog’s DNA. There are 5 different levels although not all these levels may be represented in your dog.
- The first level will indicate those breeds that make up the majority of your dog’s DNA. The expected percentage of your dog’s DNA shared with a specific breed would need to be of 75% or higher to be considered a primary breed in your dog’s genetic makeup.
- The second level records those breeds that are easily identified, even by simply looking at your dog or its personality traits.
- The third level will indicate those breeds that make up between 20-30% of the breeds listed.
- The fourth level will show those breeds that are less significant but still present in your dog’s DNA.
- The fifth level will indicate those breeds which make up a very small part of your dog’s DNA.
*The breeds which constitute the largest part of your dog’s genetic makeup, will translate into those physical and personality traits that will be most easily identifiable in your dog.
Results for your dog will be personalised and include a custom certificate highlighting their unique dog DNA composition. We can also include a photo of your dog on the certificate – just email us a picture of your dog when you send the samples. The results also include a personalised analysis of the personality traits, physical characteristics and genetic disease concerns for the dog breed in question. This information will help maximize the health and wellbeing of your dog and provide it with the best possible care.
Take advantage of our Special Offer!
Are you interested in purchasing an additional DNA My Dog Breed test? If so, today is your lucky day! We are currently giving a $19 discount to clients who purchase a second or third test. Benefit from our discounted prices today!
Will the canine DNA test tell me whether my dog is purebred?
No, the test is not designed to confirm whether a dog tested is purebred or not. The test is specifically targeted at mixed breed dogs.
Can I view the full list of dog breeds that can be tested?
Yes, the view list of dog breeds can be found by clicking here. This list is constantly being updated with new breeds.
What factors should I keep in mind before choosing this test?
Please take note of the following factors that will influence your dog’s DNA test.
Experience indicates that a small percentage, approximately 2.3% of all DNA canine testing, will yield results that are inaccurate or cannot be interpreted. The reasons for this are:
• Dogs have extremely high levels of oral bacteria which may result in degeneration of the sample before our DNA extraction process commences.
• The current thoroughly isolated DNA markers in the available database to date represent the most common breeds found in the North American mixed breed dog population.
What other canine tests do you offer?
We offer a 99.9% accurate dog DNA parentage test. Parentage verification through DNA testing is an important part of animal registration programs and can help provide hard evidence of pedigree. Click here to read more.