How to do a DNA test
The DNA sample collection kit we will send to you comes complete with step-by-step instructions for quick and easy cheek cell collection using the mouth swabs provided. DNA sample collection should take only a few minutes per person and is completely safe and painless.
It is important that you follow the instructions carefully and return the DNA samples with a fully completed registration form, using the reply envelope you will find in the kit.
Do not drink coffee or tea, or use tobacco products for 4 hours prior to sampling. Samples containing coffee, tea or tobacco residues may not process properly!
Wash your hands and rinse applicant’s mouth three times with warm water (For infants – allow them to drink water from a bottle or wait 2 hours from last feeding).
Step By Step Instructions
1. Take the first four swabs, which are to be used to collect the first applicant’s DNA sample. Remove the first swab from the sterile packaging, taking care not to touch the tip of the swab. Collect cheek cells by rolling the tip of the sample collection swab firmly inside the mouth against the cheek to collect saliva sample (30 times each or for about 1 minute). Be certain to move the swab over the entire inner cheek surfaces. This action should be firm but not aggressive and should cause no discomfort.
2. Repeat this process for the same individual with the second swab. You must submit four swabs per person.
3. Allow the swabs to air dry at room temperature for at least 15 minutes. To avoid contamination, do not allow the tips of the swabs to touch anything.
4. Place the used swabs in the first sample collection envelope (do not put back in plastic packaging) and ensure that you clearly complete and sign the details required on the outside of the envelope. Be sure to seal the envelope firmly.
5. Take another four swabs, which are to be used to collect the second applicant’s DNA sample and repeat the sample collection process (steps 3-5).
6. Place the another four swabs in the second sample collection envelope (do not put back in plastic packaging) and ensure that you clearly complete and sign the details required on the outside of the envelope. Be sure to seal the envelope firmly.
Repeat the sample collection process if you are requesting analysis of additional applicant’s DNA.